Are Your Law Firm Mobiles Secure and Compliant?
Posted on: September 10th, 2019
In the legal industry, keeping client information secure is of the utmost importance. Data privacy is becoming increasingly challenging to manage due to the need for lawyers to work outside of the office using mobile phones all day long, accessing client information and sensitive documents. In fact, research by Edith Cowan University’s Security Research Institute found that 94% of lawyers used their phones to process confidential client data, but only 41% know what basic security measures are enabled.
As a result of an increasing number of cyber attacks on law firms, you must ensure that all mobile devices are secure. Gaining access to the whole mobile phone is only one malicious email or downloaded app away from occurring. Are your law firm mobiles compliant and secure? With this in mind, here are a few ways to secure your mobile devices.
- Always use a pin number for your lock screen – opt for the 6-digit code or alphanumeric passcode – this will offer more protection that fingerprints or face scans against attacks
- Install software updates as soon as they are available – on most mobile phones you can set updates to install automatically
- Install an antivirus program on all your law firms mobiles from a reputable source as an additional layer of protection
- Be cautious with applications that you install – there are no controls to the level of data they may request or what they do with the information once uploaded
- Set up two-factor authentication for any accounts that offer it – this will send you a code that you are required to enter to login
- Don’t use free Wi-Fi networks – public Wi-Fi can be infected with malware
- Use the ‘Find My Phone’ feature – they enable you to trace or wipe your device remotely if your phone is lost or stolen
Furthermore, if you are using an employer supplied device, you should get familiar with the firm’s technology policy. You need to ensure that you comply with this policy. Check in with your IT support periodically to ensure your device is updated and secure.
In short, these simple security precautions may prevent a significant data breach from the mobile devices at your law firm. A breach can result in significant financial loss or reputational damage for your law firm. At onPlatinum ICT, we can keep your devices secure. Get in contact with our team today.
At onPlatinum ICT, we can keep your devices secure. Get in contact with our team today
Back to all blog posts